“Thank you for helping with my lawsuit for the car wreck. You did a wonderful, professional job and I would recommend you to anyone. Once again, thank you very much.”
– Rodeo Post
“Without the help of Kevan Montoya I know that I would not have had the successful outcome that was achieved. He took a very difficult situation and made sure that the truth was told, presently and perfectly. He was a calm and confident presence during this difficult time for our family. I very much appreciate the knowledge and support I received from Mr. Montoya. I highly recommend this firm.”
– April Adkison
“Kevan Montoya and his staff are incredible! I was able to concentrate on healing and my family instead of insurance companies and paperwork. Not only are the staff empathetic and efficient, Mr. Montoya was tenacious in making sure that my interests were considered. They’ve got your back!”
– Lisa Allen (Yakima, WA)
When pedestrians are struck by motor vehicles, the damage can be extensive. The human body is no match for a motor vehicle’s size and weight. When accidents happen, a Yakima pedestrian accident lawyer can help you recover compensation. Negligent drivers are incredibly dangerous to pedestrians walking on sidewalks, roads, and other areas.
If you’ve been struck by a car or other type of vehicle while walking or while on your bicycle, don’t wait to contact a pedestrian accident lawyer. At Montoya Hinckley, our lawyers possess the knowledge and dedication needed to fight for your full compensation following a pedestrian-motor vehicle accident.
Call our pedestrian accident injury lawyers at 509-895-7373 so that we can learn more about your case and how we can assist you.
A Pedestrian Accident Injury Lawyer Can Recover Compensation for You
After being hit by a vehicle, the immediate shock, trauma, and pain can be immense. Accident victims need time to recover after being injured in a pedestrian-motor vehicle accident. As you rest and recover, you may be wondering about compensation and how pedestrian accident lawyers in Yakima can help. Following pedestrian accidents, victims can often recover damages—or monetary compensation—for:
- Hospital bills, therapy costs, and other past and future medical expenses
- Lost income if you’re unable to work after your accident
- Lost earning capacity if you’re disabled or unable to perform the same job due to lasting injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional trauma and mental anguish
Depending on your situation, you may be able to recover additional damages as well. With serious injuries, such as a traumatic brain injury, future expenses must also be taken into account. Reviewing your case with a pedestrian injury attorney can help you figure out what types of compensation you might be owed and how much your case could be worth. Remember, damages often include much more than medical bills; you deserve compensation for the trauma you’ve experienced and for the mental hardships caused by the accident.
How A Pedestrian Accident Injury Lawyer Determines Fault in an Accident Case
Holding Negligent Drivers Accountable
In any injury case, personal injury attorneys will look at the causes and circumstances surrounding an accident to determine who was at fault. Fault and liability play key roles in injury claims, because a driver, or other party, who was negligent can ultimately be held at fault for an accident and their insurance company must pay damages.
A pedestrian accident injury lawyer can investigate your accident in order to hold responsible parties accountable for your injuries.
After discussing your accident with our Yakima pedestrian accident lawyers, we can collect evidence and investigate the incident in order to determine fault. An important consideration in pedestrian-motor vehicle accidents is that Washington State applies a standard of comparative negligence to accident cases. This means that both parties can be held at fault for an accident, depending on what happened. Even if a pedestrian’s actions contributed to an accident, however, in many cases compensation can still be recovered if another party also was at fault for the accident.
Common Causes of Pedestrian Accidents
Many accidents involving pedestrians and motor vehicles occur because negligent drivers fail to safely operate their vehicles. Common causes of pedestrian-autoaccidents include:
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while drowsy
- Distracted driving caused by texting and other behaviors
- Ignoring traffic signals
- Unsafe road conditions
Although many accidents involve negligent drivers, in some cases a pedestrian injury lawyer finds another party responsible for an accident. For example, an auto manufacturer could be responsible for a defect that caused a driver to lose control. Or, a local government’s public works department could be held accountable for failing to maintain safe road conditions. Our skilled pedestrian accident lawyers in Yakima know to thoroughly investigate an accident case.
Safety and Laws for Pedestrians
It’s very important that pedestrians also follow laws and safety rules while walking where motor vehicles are present. If a car hits a pedestrian, it’s not true that the motor vehicle driver is always to blame for such an accident.
In some cases, pedestrians can contribute to accidents if they walk in an unsafe manner or disobey traffic laws. In such cases, a Yakima pedestrian injury attorney may still be able to recover compensation for victims, but the amount of money recovered can be reduced based on the extent of the victim’s fault. To walk safely, pedestrians must follow Washington state laws on:
- Crossing Safely – Pedestrians must yield to vehicles when crossing the street at places other than crosswalks.
- Diagonal Crossing – Pedestrians must not cross a roadway diagonally unless authorized by local traffic-control devices.
- Vehicle Path – Pedestrians should not make sudden movements into traffic, or walk or run into the path of oncoming vehicles.
- Traffic Signals – Pedestrians must also follow the instructions of any traffic-control device, such as a crosswalk signal or traffic light, when crossing or walking along roadways.
Pedestrians should always use sound judgment while walking and be both cautious and alert when around moving vehicles. Negligent drivers can be dangerous and unpredictable, and it is unsafe to assume that all drivers will follow traffic laws.
Why You Should Team Up with Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Yakima
Our pedestrian injury attorneys can provide you with sound advice for your case, negotiate for damages on your behalf, and get to the bottom of your accident case. If you’ve been hurt in a pedestrian accident, a Yakima pedestrian accident lawyer will be an invaluable resource. Here’s why.
- Defending Your Case – Insurance companies often try to shift blame onto a pedestrian accident victim. Our pedestrian accident lawyers can use evidence to show exactly what happened and how at-fault drivers can be held accountable.
- Extent of Injures – By reviewing your medical records and consulting with medical professionals and expert witnesses, pedestrian accident lawyers in Yakima can show the extent of your injuries and make a solid case for your fair and full compensation.
- Staying on Track – Personal injury cases involving car accidents and pedestrians are subject to strict filing deadlines. Further, paperwork and other details must be in order so that a successful claim can be filed. Our injury attorneys can handle these requirements for you.
- Full Compensation – By teaming up with a Yakima pedestrian injury attorney, you’ll give yourself the best shot at full compensation. A skilled attorney knows how to determine the full value of your case, including compensation that you might not have realized that you’re owed. Further, a personal injury lawyer can negotiate with insurance companies and prevent any attempt by the insurance company to shortchange you on damages. Remember, you shouldn’t have to suffer financially after an accident.
FAQs Regarding Pedestrian Injury Accident Cases
Common Questions for a Yakima Pedestrian Injury Attorney
If you’ve been struck by a vehicle while walking, you probably have many questions. Below are some common questions that Montoya Hinckley’s pedestrian injury accident lawyers receive from clients who are injured in a pedestrian-vehicle accident:
What if an insurance company doesn’t offer enough compensation to cover my injuries?
Aside from negligent drivers, who else can be responsible for a pedestrian accident?
What should I do after being struck by a vehicle while walking?
I was hurt while walking. But what if I think a pedestrian-vehicle accident was my fault?
If You’ve Been Hurt, Our Pedestrian Injury Attorneys Can Help You
After an Accident, Don’t Delay. Call a Yakima Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
The injuries and psychological effects of being struck by a car or other vehicle can be devastating. After an accident, you need both medical and legal help. While you focus on recovery, let a Yakima pedestrian injury attorney at Montoya Hinckley help you recover compensation. Negligent parties should be held accountable for the damage they’ve inflicted. We can help to obtain damages for your medical bills, lost income, and other accident-related expenses, as well as pain and suffering, disability and disfigurement, and loss of enjoyment of life.
You should not have to suffer financially on top of the hardships you’re already experiencing. Call the pedestrian injury attorneys at Montoya Hinckley at 509-895-7373 and ask for a free and confidential consultation. We’re ready to learn more about your case and develop a plan to help you.